William Ransom 1 – 0 Ickleford

With just Mary Exton to play after this game, the result was very important. Only a win would give the ‘A’ Team any chance of finishing at the top of the league and even then they would still have to beat Mary Exton during the first week back after Easter; the season having been extended due to the awful weather.

The game did not start well, with passes going astray and clearances not being made. From our kick-off, Ickleford ended up with a chance to take the lead after only a few seconds! Gradually the team settled down and they did try and play football. When they pass the ball, and pass it quickly, they are able to beat anyone. It was this type of play that saw us take the lead. Three very quick passes across the pitch set up Charlie who finished excellently with a first time shot across the keeper into the far corner.

The second half did produce any goals and both Ben and Jean-Claude who took turns in goal had to make several saves to keep the home team from equalising. Towards the end of the game we should have doubled the lead, but Reece managed to miss from about 50cm! In fact, the ball almost went out for a throw to Ickleford! Fortunately, it wasn’t costly, and the team held on for the win.

The ‘B’ Team were looking to get revenge on the team who won the ‘B’ Team Rally last week. There were several different players in the team, including two players representing the school for the first time. Our first goal came from Taylor who put the ball in from close range after a good cross from the right. Ickleford equalised almost immediately when Alex was impeded by his own player and Ickleford were able to tap in from close range. In the second half, Ickleford took the lead when a corner was headed in and that was how it remained until the last couple of minutes when we were awarded a penalty for an alleged hand ball. I must admit, I think we were very lucky to get it! Lewis was complaining, however, and he stepped up to belt the ball in the back of the net. The game finished all square, 2-2.

Well done to everyone who took part, and good luck to the ‘A’ Team in the final game, in the first week back after the break.